Thursday, December 16, 2010

A post in which I gush about the greatest kitty ever

I've been trying really hard to talk about other things lately (in real life, not just on my blog), but I think it's time everyone knows that I have the sweetest kitten ever. Skywalker loves to cuddle and purr and sleep on people (not on laps, he prefers it if you recline a little so that he can lay close to your face). When I leave my bedroom in the morning, he is almost always curled up next to the door, waiting for someone to love him. He licks our fingers when he thinks they're dirty. When he's done playing, but not ready to sleep, he comes up to us and pushes his nose against our faces. Greatest kitty ever.

Before we brought Skywalker home, he was an outdoor kitty. Growing up, my family took in a few outdoor kitties. Two of them ran away (they were indoor/outdoor kitties). When we got the third kitty (Skippy), we decided that she would be inside only. For the 10 + years that Skippy lived with us, we constantly told her that she was a "happy, well-adjusted, indoor kitty." She did not believe us. I was prepared for the same to be true of Skywalker, but it's not. He loves being an indoor kitty. When it was snowing this weekend, Luke took him outside because Skywalker kept meowing at the snow. He wanted back in immediately. In the month we've had him, he's only run out once and that was in the first week. Since then he hasn't even bothered to try. Greatest kitty ever.

Skywalker also came to our house with lots of outdoor kitty problems. He had fleas, ear mites, and intestinal worms. Poor kitty. The vet had us give him ear drops for the mites and he hated them. Luke took Skywalker back to the vet yesterday to get another round of Revolution for the fleas and the vet said that he now has an ear infection, so we have new ear drops to give him. These ear drops are more of a gel and have a pokier nozzle that goes into his ear. I put them in last night when he was calming down after a big round of playing. He was snuggled on my lap. I figured that he would probably jump off my lap, shake his head, and climb back up. Nope. He went and sat on the television stand and glared at me. Then he proceeded to clean himself and take a nap.

This was huge. If Skywalker has the option, he always takes his naps on people. And he didn't. Don't get me wrong, I want my kitten to be independent, but this first show of independence broke my heart a little.

About half an hour later, he got up to stretch and came and laid with me. Greatest kitty ever.

2 comments:

  1. My stinky boyfriend lost my cat while I was in Korea. Now, I find myself constantly fantasizing about owning a kitten again. I will name him either Chairman Meow or Fidel CATstro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved a kitty once. He, unfortunately, was convinced that being an indoor kitty was not what he wanted. He died young as a result. I'm glad that Skywalker is such a good kitty.

    ReplyDelete