Sunday, November 22, 2009

High Horse

Yes, I read all four of the Twilight books. Yes, I was a little obsessed with them at the time. HOWEVER, my obsession came more from my fascination with how Stephanie Meyer would end the seemingly ill-fated loved story between a human and a vampire. I was expecting tragedy.

Instead, I found a brain-numbing romance with convoluted plot twists that ends with 756 pages of grotesqueness. First of all, Meyer never gives solid reasons for why Bella and Edward are in lurv. Second, the relationship between the two is co-dependent. Thirdly, Bella is blind to the what she would be giving up if she were to become a vampire, even though it's pointed out to her OVER and OVER. And finally, without giving too much away for those of you who actually want to read/see the books/movies, no one has to give up anything in the end. There are no deep, long-lasting themes in these books. They are trite and seem to be written to show teen girls exactly what they want: when you fall in love with a perfect-looking guy, everything will turn out perfectly and you'll get everything you want even though he has deep personal flaws.

The other large complaint I have is about how these books has been marketed to Christians because the main characters do not engage in pre-marital sex. Let me just say, it's not for lack of trying on Bella's part, and it's not because of a deep religious conviction for Edward; he just doesn't want to kill his human girlfriend. Also, in all of the discussion of sex, no one actually ever says the word "sex" throughout the entire series! So, not only are young girls being fed this line of relationship crap, but they're being taught to talk about sex without actually talking about it is okay.

So, to answer your questions, no, I will not be paying money to go watch New Moon.

No comments:

Post a Comment