Thursday, September 3, 2009

Our thing

It only makes sense that Luke and I would spend a lot of our time together watching movies, especially since we met and started to get to know each other through our movie watching, but it has gotten a little extreme since we have moved. I guess that not knowing many people has something to do with it. However, this is more than just simple movie watching. We have a goal.

Anyone who had ever visited Luke's apartment knows that he has a pretty large DVD collection (let's estimate somewhere in the 200s). Then Luke got married and came to be co-owner of all of my DVDs (whether he wants to be or not). One day, Luke decided that we both have to see all of the movies in our ownership. So we went through our (alphabetized) collection and pulled out all of the movies one or both of us has not viewed. I counted somewhere around 80 movies that we now have in queue to watch...in alphabetical order. After we watch each movie, the person who added the movie to the collection has to explain what they like about it and why they bought it.

Whether I want to or not, I had to watch Brotherhood of the Wolf and I will have to watch From Hell.

Now I, being the kind and gracious person I am, have given Luke the opportunity to stop a movie. He was obviously not enjoying Bridget Jones 2: The Edge of Reason. And I did not blame him at all; the first movie was done much better and this one strays so far from the book it's barely recognizable. Ten minutes into the movie he was obviously in pain. I told him that if it didn't improve in 15 minutes that we could stop the movie. Luke is incapable of doing this, though. He has a goal. He will do everything to complete this goal. So Luke sat through the entire movie and complained about it. If I was on the fence about this movie before, Luke has now completely ruined it for me.

The next movie that was formerly mine was Chasing Liberty. Okay, small confession here: most of the movies I added to the collection are chick flicks (Luke also had a chick flick to add to the collection, though!). Chasing Liberty is one of my guilty pleasures. Watching it brings back fond memories of living with Michelle and checking this movie out from the Vinita Park library over and over and over until Michelle finally gave it to me for Christmas. I didn't want Luke to ruin it for me.

FYI (and Luke's), I know that most chick flicks have completely implausible story lines and that there are scenes that are cheesy. I can smell cheese. Trust me. However, Luke feels the need to point these things out in the movies I love. So each time one of these scenes came on, I had to remind tell Luke, "Don't ruin this for me."

He did pretty well with Chasing Liberty. Anyone want a copy of Bridget Jones 2?

1 comment:

  1. This made me laugh. And no, I don't want Bridget Jones 2. haha

    ReplyDelete