Do you ever look at other people's lives and think how easy they must have it? I do. I do a lot. And then you start getting to know them, like really getting to know them, and you realize their life is not so easy.
I feel like I had two of those moments this week. And (this makes me feel a little guilty) it made me feel better about my life. Also, though, it made me feel closer to those two people, because we could share in the uneasiness of life together, and relate to each other, and grow closer. It made me feel like these are close friends instead of just "Bloomington friends" (which is how I've categorized them in my mind for the past year).
It's really easy (I'm sure for everyone, but especially when you live in a college town) to say, this is not my real life, it's just on hold until x happens. For me, x=graduate school being over for me and Luke. I'm guilty of doing this a lot, especially this summer. I'm trying to get over it. I'm trying not to bring up what I think of as my real life (i.e. being a teacher, living in a city) as much as I want to, because my real life is happening right now.
Overall, though, I'm thankful that I'm getting to the place where I have people again. People that are part of my everyday life, and I'm a part of theirs. It feels good.
I do to
ReplyDeleteEverytime I read your blog I think that you are my twin from another state. I hear you.
ReplyDeleteHey Jill- I wasn't sure if you subscribed to my comment feed for the PIF, so I thought I'd pop over here to tell you that you are in for the PIF! Thank you for participating! This is going to be great!
ReplyDeleteI have done that as well, waiting and waiting. I watched a video the other day where this woman was talking about how she has spent her past thinking "oh when we move here then I can do this" or "after the baby is born then this" and she spent so much time doing that that she was missing the here and now.
ReplyDeleteIt reminded me of how much i have done that and spent so much time waiting for this, that I miss out on the moment.
I am very glad that you have found some good friends in Bloom town and are reminded of not waiting but living in the here and now. :)