Saturday, July 31, 2010

Bummed out in Indiana

Dear Wedding Etiquette Guru,

My husband and I were married a year ago today and, like many couples, we saved the top tier of our wedding cake. We dutifully wrapped it in plastic and stuffed it into our freezer (after a week and a half in Ben and Emy's freezer since we honeymooned at their "resort").

I have been looking forward to eating this cake for 365 days. It was good cake. So this morning, Luke pulled it out of the back of the freezer and we let it thaw while we went about our day. As it thawed, the middle of it started to sink, and the sides of frosting started bulging outwards. We came home from dinner and decided to dig in to the cake. First question: Why didn't anyone tell us about all of the pieces of plastic that hold the cake up that are inside of the cake? Second question: Was our cake undercooked? Because it was really doughy with an after-texture (is that even possible) of chalky.

So, we threw the cake away. Sorry, Mom, I know you wanted me to save a piece for you.

What did we do wrong?

Sincerely,
Newlywed No More

4 comments:

  1. It's okay. Did you two at least get to go out and get a dessert to celebrate?

    My husband and (newlyweds till October) wont be able to celebrate with the wedding cake tradition either...we had a cheesecake wedding cake AND we got married in NC but lived in PA and honeymooned in FL...so there was no way to save it. I'm sure we'll go on our anniversary and find an equally yummy cake to celebrate with.

    Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pieces of plastic are probably because of how your cake was designed. They may have needed to use dowels in order to keep everything looking right. I never thought of how that would affect the top tier eating tradition.
    I have no idea about being undercooked, but my bet is that it just was something to do with the freezing.
    Jon and I just ended up ordering a cake from the same bakery because we had a power outage during the year and didn't think that the cake would have made it.
    Happy Anniversary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Cortney-We had a very decadent supper for our anniversary at an amazing Italian restaurant, so I didn't feel too bad about not devouring our cake. We also had bought some fudge earlier in the day from the cute little touristy town we live near. Peanut butter fudge definitely felt celebratory.
    @Torrie-I think it was probably more the moving that occurred three days after the wedding and then a week later that did our cake in. It didn't have a very good start to it's frozen year :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill-Thanks for stopping by and checking out my 21-day challenge! Come hop on the wagon with me! I think we have a lot in common (sp?) because my husband and I were married in October and moved in December across the country. We moved to PA for a year and a half while he was in school, but it was only 7 hours from "home" and we made frequent trips back and forth between PA and NC while we were there. Out here in CA we are alone (with each other) but it has been an excellent adventure, just the two of us.

    I look forward to reading more from you!

    Thanks, Cortney

    ReplyDelete