Sunday, January 31, 2010

It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.
-C.S. Lewis, Weight of Glory
So, I haven't actually read Weight of Glory (although it is on our "library"). I came across this quote, or at least this reference, about two years ago while reading Revelations of a Single Woman by Connally Gilliam. As I am wandering about in this struggle to "do" something with my life, I wonder, what is the holiday at the sea that I am missing out on? How often do I neglect pursuing relationship with God in order to spend time on trivial matters, like television, internet surfing, etc (mud pies)?

I'm even refiguring what my desires are at this point in my life. What has God gifted me in so that I may be a blessing to others? What is the strong (or perhaps weak) desire of my soul?

I believe that my desire to know God is far too weak, so to begin/continue this journey I first must recognize that. And hopefully the more I recognize that, the more I'll spend time trying to change that.

No comments:

Post a Comment