Sunday, August 9, 2009

Naturally Curly

One of the things Luke and I are working on is cutting back our lifestyle. Since we were both working full-time and living with other people, we had lots of expendable income. And now...we don't.

My big spending area tends to be my hair. A couple of years ago I started actually spending money on haircuts and hair products. I'd been using a line of products called Deva Concepts. I really like this line of products and they've been working really well on my hair, but my current problem is twofold: they cost a lot of money (even when I can use my 20% off card) and there are no retailers in a 25 mile radius of Bloomington.

So I've been searching this website for other options. It's been very helpful, along with slightly confusing. I've been using the routine from the book Curly Girl by Lorraine Massey, which helps you figure out your hair type pretty simply. NaturallyCurly.com goes further in breaking down the hair types and has what appears to be a much more elaborate care routine.

The website has helped me find much less expensive product. I tried the new gel this morning and it held up through the humidity pretty well, but it looks pretty awful after driving with the windows open. It has a fair amount of alcohol in it, but the store I went to was out of the kind I really wanted, so we'll try that one the next time. I'm hoping that the conditioner is good.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do about a haircut. I want one pretty badly right now, even though I don't need one yet. I'm thinking of just going to the place in the mall to see if they will at least cut it dry. That would save about $20.

Any suggestions for an inexpensive curly haircut? Let me know!

1 comment:

  1. As a fellow curly haired and poor girl I am also having some difficulty with this topic. I have yet to find a gel that I really like and have tried so many that I forget which ones I like and don't like and currently own a gel that is super drying, but I can't just go out and buy new gel. I also ran out of conditioner this week which is even more stressful. So currently I have dry non shiny very unhealthy hair and it makes me sad and want shave my head (except I am growing my hair out)

    ReplyDelete