There's this episode of 30 Rock where Liz Lemon goes to her high school reunion even though she doesn't want to go because she was a nerd in high school. She characterizes herself as a "lonely nerd." Her boss, Jack Donaghy, convinces her to go to her reunion because, along with a great career, she has "found a hairstyle that works" for her "as long as it's not too humid."
Minus the great career, I feel a little bit like Liz Lemon when I think about my own high school reunion. It's this summer, in July actually. I wouldn't characterize my high school years as lonely and nerdy, but I definitely did not feel like I fit in with any particular group of people and look back at pictures of myself from high school and grimace because I was so incredibly awkward. (my brother got away with having about 6 months of awkwardness...I had about 6 years of awkwardness). If it wasn't for facebook, I doubt that I would be in contact with anyone from my high school. So, like Liz Lemon, I have found myself thinking, "I wouldn't have fun. I'm not going." Plus, I don't have a great career (although I have found a hairstyle that works for me as long as it's not too humid).
Liz and I both decided to go to our reunions. Now I'm a little worried that mine might turn out like Liz's. It turns out Liz wasn't a lonely nerd in high school. In fact, she was so much of a bully that people, including the Homecoming Queen, called her the White Haven Witch. I'm worried that I'm remembering my awkward teen years incorrectly, and instead of coming across as somewhat shy and nerdy, I was (possibly still am) aloof and judgmental.
Anyway, Luke and I have decided to go. At first we figured it would at least be a good chance to see my mom, but it turns out she might not even be around that weekend. So, I guess that weekend may be all about my awkward teenage years, since I tend to regress when I'm stressed out and I think this reunion is already stressing me out. Hopefully they don't try to dump crap on my head.
not going to lie I laughed at this. But I also feel the same way and since I am currently in contact with the people I care about from high school am still debating going to my reunion in August. I do have to work that Friday and Sunday but it is only an hour drive away so I could just go up for Saturday, but I will probably wait til the last possible moment before I decide that.
ReplyDeleteI also hope they don't dump crap on your head.